In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(de) después del coito
- It has a vaguely post-coital ring to it - one almost feels one should be lighting a cigarette for her.
- Services include prophylactic treatment for sexually transmitted infections, pregnancy testing and post-coital contraceptive service, and referral for STI screening.
- A recent survey of black and Latina women in the U.S. found only 8 percent had some knowledge of post-coital contraception.
- In the course of the journey, she reflects on her first sexual relationship, in which she apparently gleaned more emotional security from post-coital cigarettes than from her lover.
- Related developments are the ‘morning after’ pill, a post-coital contraceptive, and the so-far unfulfilled hope of a ‘male pill’.
- The Three Ages of Man, with its blatantly phallic flute and sexually sated putti, is a post-coital reflection on mortality.
- It's shorthand for creativity/idleness, relaxation/nervousness, seduction / post-coital bliss, and a host of other contradictory cinematic moods.
- That same exhilaration rolls like a cooling fog into the sun outside the studio as the audience - with lazy, satisfied, post-coital smiles on their lips - drifts out into the streets.
- Keep your cigarettes for post-coital conversations.
- My own practice picked up the pieces after a patient was given inaccurate information about post-coital contraceptives.
- There we were, viewing Miller's speech through a post-coital haze, when I said it: ‘OK, I have a deal for you.’
- Although I have to say that post-coital head-stands don't really engender the closeness that one usually likes to experience after a ride on the carnal carousel.
- Police caught them in flagrante, or maybe in grass-stained, post-coital repose.
- The generally accepted medical practice in the use of the coil as a post-coital contraceptive device is that it may properly be introduced at any time up to the 20th day.
- Carol's comment struck Jack as oddly insightful, but all he said aloud was: ‘This is one of the weirder post-coital talks I've had.’
- Did he have a post-coital heart attack - the authors note no one ever said he was in bed alone - that led to the head bumping?
- His post-coital fun was motivated by a deep-seated fear that his lovers might one day leave him.
- It should be called emergency contraceptive pills or post-coital contraception and refers to a special use of birth control pills in high dose.
- But do they mean it or is it just post-coital reassurance?
- Interestingly, tamoxifen was originally invented in the UK as a post-coital contraceptive.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.