In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(large picture)cartel masculinepóster masculineafiche masculine
- A picture of a steam train in Edinburgh and an Intercity poster decorate a third wall.
- Balloons, posters and ribbons decorated the vehicles as they wove their way through the area.
- The walls of the shop were painted black and hung with medieval weapons, pictures discs and band posters.
- She had packed in ten minutes, even all her posters and pictures put away.
- Maybe it was the association with Monsieur Dali, whose posters decorated many a bedsitter in my youth.
- The England players' training base in Portugal is decorated with giant posters of themselves.
- We hopped in one of many taxis decorated with posters of either Nelson Mandela or Marilyn Monroe.
- Navy blue furniture and various sports team posters decorated the otherwise bland, creamy walls.
- Clara bought some clothes and posters to decorate her room as well as some CDs and books.
- Pupils at the local school have decorated the hall with posters on the theme of ‘hope’.
- One dog had to be played Verdi on a continuous loop and another had to have his kennel decorated with Aston Villa posters.
- It was already decorated with posters from punk bands and some really cool art work.
- The walls were painted a plain but light cream and for the moment were bare of pictures or posters.
- Unlike a print or a poster, catalog sheets and computer screens never do it justice.
- His office is spare but comfortable, decorated with posters from previous shows and a few of his many theatre awards.
- Setting the picture down, I gazed over at the wall that held no pictures or posters.
- Buying prints, posters and original artworks over the web is as easy as buying a book or CD.
- Art is not alien; we all have pictures, posters and decorations hanging on our walls at home.
- It can be an original painting or reproduction, a poster, print or photo.
- Law and politics books lie on the floor and posters decorate the walls.
2(person who posts online)posteador masculineposteadora feminine
- Experts believe around 150 such lawsuits have been filed regarding anonymous message posters.
- Do a search and you will find newsgroups posters exclaiming the phrases and leaving puzzled and angry observers.
- I have to agree with the poster who basically said that the technology is irrelevant if the movie is no good.
- I agree with the poster who said the systems administrators responsible for this should be canned.
- Amazingly, other posters appear to have forgiven her and claim that it took courage to write what she did.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.