In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1témpera femininegouache masculine
- Crayon, oil, colored pencil, and poster paint lend the work a saturated, hyperbolic sensibility.
- It was in poster paints on a red canvas and it used to hang in our living room.
- Mix up pots of poster paint, and give your children a pot of paint in each colour, a couple of brushes and a glass of water.
- This marriage of like souls did not mean that Ursula could now sit back and pick up her palette and poster paints while they lived in a country manor in Europe.
- Use poster paint for printing on paper (for cards, gift wrap, etc.), or use acrylic paint if you decide to decorate an item that needs a waterproof finish (glassware, clay pots, etc.).
- Children who should have no thoughts in their heads but how to skip, kick a football and splash poster paint around are cracking up.
- And so I began splattering poster paint on ceramic trays for Christmas gifts for my family and friends.
- Get them to make their own storage boxes by painting cardboard ones with poster paints, sticking on pictures cut out of magazines or having fun with glue and glitter.
- When I was sitting in that same room 30 years ago our art lessons only ever involved poster paints and sugar paper.
- Children will be encouraged to use this language with classroom materials - clay, poster paint to celebrate a rite of passage such as school graduation.
- Children under 10 may be encouraged to paint faces rather than carving them, using poster paints or acrylic paints.
- Nobody is getting Christmas presents this year, that can't be manufactured from common household items, such as toilet-paper roll maracas, filled with rice, and painted with poster paints.
- It was an activists Aladdin's cave; there were posters, leaflets, poster paints, horns, whistle and a loud speaker the size of a television in it.
- Ashley's paintings provide a powerful mix of oil, poster paints and chalk - challenging images drawn from the worlds of horror and the gremlins and demons from the darker side fantasy.
- The vandals had covered the floors in powder paint and sprayed walls with poster paint.
- The students used poster paints to paint the exterior of the box.
- He won awards for singing, and joined a pop group, appearing on stage in skin-tight jeans and hair dyed red with poster paint.
- There is a lot more colour and detail, women are depicted and the materials used include poster paints and handmade paper.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.