In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(letter/parcel) matasellarthe envelope was postmarked York — el sobre llevaba matasellos de York / estaba matasellado en York
- Some will accept a check and account application by mail as long as it's postmarked by April 15.
- I am far more pleased to receive letters with stamps postmarked on them.
- The first note was postmarked after I had been walking her home nearly every day for weeks, and I haven't really been keeping the company of any other girls.
- Dingle paid particular attention to letters that were postmarked from a town near the Center or those that said the sender was on his or her way to the Center.
- Liu could not say when the letter was postmarked, nor if it contained a sender's name.
- They were signed by someone named Charles and were postmarked from the main post office in Manhattan.
- The letter was postmarked Guildford, by the way.
- All mailed applications must be postmarked on or before that date.
- Only once in the last two months has a letter arrived within a week of it being postmarked by Banglamung.
- The envelope was postmarked from Boston; I'd never even been to Boston.
- Mr Daschle's envelope was postmarked Trenton, New Jersey, the same as the envelope to Brokaw.
- Along with the usual ads and bills was a letter addressed to her, postmarked New York.
- Please complete and mail your entry early; you'll pay double fees if your entry is postmarked after May 23 or if you sign up at the competitors' weigh-in/check-in.
- Souvenir airmails were postmarked Shanghai in order to celebrate the event.
- They have now received a plastic envelope containing six items of post which were postmarked September 8.
- Mailed claims must be postmarked by November 1.
- Each entry must be mailed in a separately stamped envelope postmarked by November 30 and received by December 5.
- Many of these issues are postmarked to order by the post office or sold in mint form and in whole sheets.
- Applications and supporting documents must be sent via the US postal service and postmarked no later than the deadline.
- For example, the article noted that 17 percent of military overseas ballots from Florida voters arrived without postmarks, despite military regulations that require all mail to be postmarked.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.