In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(society/development) de la posguerrathe postwar years — los años de la posguerra
- The long post-war boom of the 1950s and 1960s also coincided with an era of cheap oil.
- Roger once visited the sanitorium to use the telephone which was still a rare device in post-war Scotland.
- All post-war Prime Ministers up to Margaret Thatcher reiterated the same view.
- The problem was that the first cracks in the comfortable post-war consensus were beginning to appear.
- The roots of this decline are in the early 1940s, and more in the post-war period.
- Only the odd relic of Stalinist architecture betrayed the country's post-war history.
- The book also looks at how the area has evolved over the years, including changes during the post-war era.
- The Goon Show was a breath of surreal fresh air in dreary post-war Britain.
- This will appeal to a more confident Britian, a Britain not mired in the sclerosis of post-war decline.
- This information is now helping plan how to respond to the post-war needs.
- In some ways it seems like an entry-level textbook for a university course on post-war Europe.
- That will be the battle to save, change or scrap the institutions that have defined our post-war world.
- The post-war French and German leaders, wearied after the second world war, made a leap of faith.
- The first post-war motor race took place in the Bois de Boulogne in Paris within weeks of the Liberation.
- It is obvious from the events following the end of the invasion that no thought was given to the post-war situation.
- Constructed as an emergency response to the post-war housing shortage, they could be erected in a day.
- That is what marks this administration as one of the truly radical ministries of post-war Britain.
- Burnley could be watched by the lowest league crowd in their post-war history at Wimbledon on Sunday.
- Prices have fallen because of the trend towards more modern, post-war designs.
- In Germany the trial was an essential cathartic process crucial to post-war regeneration.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.