In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1papa femininepatata feminine Spainbefore noun potato chips / (British) crisps — papas chip feminine Uruguay
- potato masher — puretera
- Spoon some potatoes and vegetables around the dish and garnish with fried leeks.
- Place half the leeks on top of potatoes and season with salt and white pepper.
- These standards mean starchy foods such as bread, potatoes, rice and pasta must not be cooked in oil or fat more than three times a week.
- More spuds, plus homegrown leeks, red onions and garlic made the potato and leek soup I'll be enjoying for lunch tomorrow.
- Lunch would be stew or steak and kidney pud with potatoes and boiled green vegetables.
- Cook the potatoes in simmering salted water for 20 min or until tender.
- Turn everything gently as it cooks, letting the potatoes and onions colour slightly.
- Platters of steamed vegetables and roast potatoes were also served.
- We'll cook roast lamb and potatoes and indulgent desserts and scoff the whole thing ourselves.
- Alternatively, the lamb may be cooked with potatoes or rice, the fat cooking out to enrich and flavour the starchy accompaniment.
- For example, pick up a roasted chicken from the deli and cook potatoes and vegetables at home.
- Tea was also rationed, but important foods such as bread, potatoes, vegetables, fruit, and fish were not.
- I have been cooking potatoes in olive oil and then topping them with cheese for years.
- Conventional wisdom dictates that starchy foods such as potatoes should give up their sugar slowly into the bloodstream.
- Get your parents to show you how to cook simple things like potatoes, rice and pasta.
- We enjoyed a lunch of a potato leek soup topped off with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Avoid fatty and fried foods and stick to starchy foods like rice, potatoes and pasta.
- Crops including potatoes and vegetables will be grown, together with grass and clover pasture to help build fertility.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them, and mash with the butter and salt and pepper.
- He was the perfect host, cooking us all potato soup and rice on a kerosene stove.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.