In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1papa femininepatata feminine Spainbefore noun potato chips / crisps — papas fritas
- potato masher — puretera
- Tea was also rationed, but important foods such as bread, potatoes, vegetables, fruit, and fish were not.
- More spuds, plus homegrown leeks, red onions and garlic made the potato and leek soup I'll be enjoying for lunch tomorrow.
- I have been cooking potatoes in olive oil and then topping them with cheese for years.
- Alternatively, the lamb may be cooked with potatoes or rice, the fat cooking out to enrich and flavour the starchy accompaniment.
- Cook the potatoes in simmering salted water for 20 min or until tender.
- Turn everything gently as it cooks, letting the potatoes and onions colour slightly.
- Crops including potatoes and vegetables will be grown, together with grass and clover pasture to help build fertility.
- We enjoyed a lunch of a potato leek soup topped off with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Avoid fatty and fried foods and stick to starchy foods like rice, potatoes and pasta.
- Get your parents to show you how to cook simple things like potatoes, rice and pasta.
- For example, pick up a roasted chicken from the deli and cook potatoes and vegetables at home.
- Platters of steamed vegetables and roast potatoes were also served.
- These standards mean starchy foods such as bread, potatoes, rice and pasta must not be cooked in oil or fat more than three times a week.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them, and mash with the butter and salt and pepper.
- He was the perfect host, cooking us all potato soup and rice on a kerosene stove.
- We'll cook roast lamb and potatoes and indulgent desserts and scoff the whole thing ourselves.
- Spoon some potatoes and vegetables around the dish and garnish with fried leeks.
- Place half the leeks on top of potatoes and season with salt and white pepper.
- Lunch would be stew or steak and kidney pud with potatoes and boiled green vegetables.
- Conventional wisdom dictates that starchy foods such as potatoes should give up their sugar slowly into the bloodstream.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.