In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1agarrador masculineagarradera feminine Latin Americatomaollas masculine Chile
- Make sure older ones use caution - and pot holders - at the stove or oven.
- She let me help her cook - I fetched pot holders and handed her the wooden spoons with which she stirred huge pots of turnip soup, the fragrant steam filling the kitchen.
- By total accident, I dropped the pot holder in the oven and it caught on fire!
- Use a carving fork to hold the bird, or grip the bird with your hand using a clean pot holder or napkin.
- It is used to make not only vessels for stove-top and oven, but utensils, fan housings, pan liners, aprons, pot holders, and even wallpaper.
- ‘Oh that,’ he shrugged dismissively placing a pot holder underneath the steaming pan, ‘It isn't anything to fret about, really.’
- She practically burned her hands since the pot holders had been worn thin and there was no room on the counter to put it down.
- He left the pot holder too close to the stove, and it caught fire.
- If people think it is all about macramé and pot holders, then we haven't done our job very well in educating them.
- The owners are now cooking up a new business venture, but their 60 or so employees (including bakers, customer-service reps, and managers) aren't ready to hang up their pot holders just yet.
- Looking at Gabriel I motioned toward the pot holder in front of me.
- The under-layer is a crisscross pattern, reminiscent of yarn pot holders, that the artist paints with an unsteady hand.
- I was so busy wanting to make a good dinner for Marie that I didn't realize that I was holding the pot holder so close to the flame until it caught on fire.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.