In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In further visits to the store trading standards officers found a second dangerous type of folding chair and a pouffe and throw which did not have the required labelling and fire safety information.
- An aperture in the back wall is incised in the form of an unmoulded stilted arch; there is one low table round which diners slump on leather pouffes; the other tables are covered in cloths of thick striped material.
- It is now the premier arena in the South East for leather sofas, suites, armchairs, recliners and the new vogue - suede and leather cube poufs.
- One wonders what bad experiences the sensitive prince has had with unsympathetic sofas or aggressive pouffes.
- Ten minutes later I was sitting on a comfy pouffe in his garage listening to his contagious blend of pop, rock and punk songs telling of break-ups, ex-girlfriends and other adolescent troubles.
- We are sourcing material for a pair of pouffes back in Nottingham.
- A sunken lounge features Moroccan cushions and pouffes, while a dining alcove is covered in rich velvet drapes in red, orange and ochre.
- In one canvas palace, beautiful people loafed around on pouffes, while those outside had to make do with slightly damp grass.
- He would stand on a pouffe in our living room and conduct the orchestra with one of his mother's knitting needles.
- They have rubbishy foam sofas and the odd ironic beanbag, or leather pouffe.
- And the pouffe and the columns are all characteristics of the empire style.
- The room was nicely furnished with two long couches and then a couple poufs.
- Startled, they all plopped themselves into chairs or pouffes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.