In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pobreza femininehe has taken a vow of poverty — ha hecho voto de pobreza
- poverty of ideas/imagination/spirit — pobreza de ideas/imaginación/espíritu
- the poverty of the soil — la pobreza del suelo
- before noun poverty level — nivel de pobreza
- they live on the poverty line — tienen apenas el mínimo necesario para vivir
- Cultural programs have suffered as a result of poverty and political upheaval.
- This film captures the claustrophobic feeling of people struggling against violence and poverty.
- The results suggest that providing day care may be insufficient as a strategy to reduce poverty.
- He did not come to save his people from aimlessness, poverty or political adversity.
- If we want to do something about child poverty, we should be spending more on social programs.
- A lot of talented students are unable to complete their studies because of poverty.
- It was dirty, full of poverty, and the politics were full of corruption.
- Many men and women came to these cities from rural poverty, hoping to find a decent living.
- It is hard to imagine the horrors of war, crippling poverty or injustice where we live.
- You can prosecute a few people but as long as there is poverty, corruption will continue to exist.
- Looking at this village now, it is hard to imagine the poverty that existed here 100 years ago.
- This is the only humane approach to those fleeing violence, poverty and oppression.
- A life of poverty, tradition and religious dread suffuses songs steeped in misery and learnt by word of mouth.
- The new kind of poverty was in the process of acquiring a revolutionary quality.
- That is because poverty degrades individuals and robs them of dignity and worth.
- He also said it was the responsibility of governments and world leaders to stop global poverty.
- Mobility and migration across borders are often prompted by poverty and violence.
- And I fully accept that we really do need to tackle the question of global poverty.
- People looked to religion for some hope in the face of poverty and oppression brought by colonialism.
- This is a film, set in contemporary Italy, where the poverty and way of life gives it a timeless quality.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.