In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pobreza femininehe has taken a vow of poverty — ha hecho voto de pobreza
- poverty of ideas/imagination/spirit — pobreza de ideas/imaginación/espíritu
- the poverty of the soil — la pobreza del suelo
- before noun poverty level — umbral de la pobreza
- they live on the poverty line — tienen apenas el mínimo necesario para vivir
- This is the only humane approach to those fleeing violence, poverty and oppression.
- That is because poverty degrades individuals and robs them of dignity and worth.
- A lot of talented students are unable to complete their studies because of poverty.
- Mobility and migration across borders are often prompted by poverty and violence.
- You can prosecute a few people but as long as there is poverty, corruption will continue to exist.
- The results suggest that providing day care may be insufficient as a strategy to reduce poverty.
- And I fully accept that we really do need to tackle the question of global poverty.
- A life of poverty, tradition and religious dread suffuses songs steeped in misery and learnt by word of mouth.
- It is hard to imagine the horrors of war, crippling poverty or injustice where we live.
- It was dirty, full of poverty, and the politics were full of corruption.
- He did not come to save his people from aimlessness, poverty or political adversity.
- This is a film, set in contemporary Italy, where the poverty and way of life gives it a timeless quality.
- The new kind of poverty was in the process of acquiring a revolutionary quality.
- If we want to do something about child poverty, we should be spending more on social programs.
- People looked to religion for some hope in the face of poverty and oppression brought by colonialism.
- This film captures the claustrophobic feeling of people struggling against violence and poverty.
- Cultural programs have suffered as a result of poverty and political upheaval.
- Looking at this village now, it is hard to imagine the poverty that existed here 100 years ago.
- He also said it was the responsibility of governments and world leaders to stop global poverty.
- Many men and women came to these cities from rural poverty, hoping to find a decent living.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.