In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1zona de influencia femininehis power base is in the rural areas — donde tiene más influencia / apoyo es en las zonas rurales
- As a man in charge of the presidential guard units he sees his authority to enhance his own influence and consolidate his power base.
- His party held most of the parliamentary seats and provided the government with its power base.
- He had lost a lot of support and his power base was rapidly disappearing.
- Their power base lay in the universities and in the support they received from government.
- They would use their powers to establish a power base for themselves and create a world where those with powers would rule.
- Originally given an administrative appointment, he used his new position at the heart of the party to build up speedily a personal power base.
- This combined force on Iberia's eastern coast created a new power base in Spain that would help to shape the Peninsula in the centuries to come.
- The diversity of our members is the power base of our organization in achieving our goals.
- She says the party is losing its traditional power base, as the influence of the farming community declines.
- Particular groups of senior managers re-aligned in order to sustain their power base.
- My concern with this is that rural communities are going to be neglected and forgotten by the power base of the urban voter.
- That, in turn, played a key role in weakening the power base of the old political establishment.
- I do not think we should chastise unions or put a black mark against them because they want to have a stronger power base.
- A royal family held power through links with local leaders, landlords and military figures who had a power base in different areas of the country.
- If it is set up it will undoubtedly take unto itself many of the powers now exercised by local councils, thus removing local democracy to a distant power base.
- The Chancellor does not have a strong power base within his party either.
- The king's authority had been fatally undermined as the narrow power base of his administration had nothing to fall back on.
- This is an opportunity to undercut its domestic power base and also to curb extremism.
- They tried to block her getting the party chairmanship, but failed because of her independent power base in the constituency vote.
- It would throw off the neocon power base and realign all manner of forces.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.