In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- And the men controlling the most powerful countries in the world ought to be ashamed.
- Hmm, maybe so, but the fact remains that the Scots and Irish influence is a powerful and pervasive one.
- Westin was now quite convinced that his country was the most powerful in the world.
- Reed ensured he was in a powerful position to influence how much scrutiny the council applied to the Forum.
- Newspapers and magazines were equally powerful cultural influences on public opinion.
- He believes that the powerful are powerful because they control the surface of things.
- Labour MPs and the powerful anti-hunt lobby are not really concerned about the fox.
- It has fed and sheltered me, and is powerful enough to influence the direction of my art.
- What would he recommend for them if they weren't currently the most powerful nation?
- So a handful of votes will determine the direction of the world's most powerful and influential country.
- There is, Richard says, a subtler but no less powerful influence at work too.
- Second, there is a bipolar structure of control, with the system controlled by two powerful states.
- Its successes have been very inconvenient to the powerful and privileged.
- She then went to work for one of the most powerful, influential billionaires on the planet.
- A quarter of a century on, the clergyman remains a powerful and influential figure even in death.
- We need a powerful English Parliament with equal funding to that of other UK regional ones.
- Or else the world influences in those times were very powerful, and they were.
- Despite notching up just one small and one big hit, he has exerted a powerful influence on Scottish pop.
- At long last, someone had beaten the powerful development lobby at City Hall.
- It has made it far harder for determined and powerful figures to control how people see events and that can only be a good thing.
2(serve/stroke) potente(arms/shoulders/swimmer) fuerte
- But Alistair Brown lunged to his right to turn the powerful header round the post.
- We all have a craving in life, be it a powerful yearning or a strong zest for something we seek.
- The radiation would be at least 50 times above normal, powerful enough to kill exposed life.
- Tip #4: Food is a powerful motivator when it comes to dog training.
- I wanted to be where I used to be and have that powerful, strong sense of direction.
- Scientific and technical progress of the latter half of the twentieth century made them extremely powerful.
- However they are very powerful tools for company identification in the mind of users.
- He's big and powerful and a strong boy: the last thing you want is to be in his way when he is running at you.
- The law is an incredibly powerful tool for shaping social perceptions, as well as controlling behavior.
- He went after powerful mages himself, and my father was one of them.
- They were very powerful, very illegal weapons.
- Women may live longer than men because they have a more powerful immune system, it was reported yesterday.
- The hope of water was such a powerful motivator, it kept me going.
- She had nearly reached the door when a strong, incredibly powerful hand caught hold of her arm.
- Studies are accumulating that the pizza herb, oregano, is a powerful antioxidant.
- She sounds invulnerable, not because she's powerful but because she's so darned nice.
- The incidence also explains the powerful placebo effect of some treatments.
- And the animals are powerful enough to kill with a single blow.
- I felt oddly powerful, and threw myself into my stretches with impressive enthusiasm.
- Both have strong, powerful teams who can also play a bit, and both have great managers.
3(performance/image/book) impactante(argument) poderoso(argument) convincente(incentive) poderoso
- As a man of strong intellectual powers, many of his most powerful effects were carefully thought through.
- His speech when launching his campaign for the Tory leadership was a powerful anti-war polemic.
- But in the literary sphere it can generate quite powerful effects and exert a strong appeal.
- Her voice is calming and almost hypnotic at times, and really strong and powerful at others.
- They will provide powerful insights into the effects of different herbicide usage.
- Yet the result is mesmeric: it shows how little you actually need to make powerful dramatic radio.
- It was extremely theatrical, which made the effects more dramatic and powerful.
- Thirdly, the powerful effect of these stories relates to the way people estimate probabilities.
- Bold use of line and strong colour create powerful images that also provide an insight into the minds of the artists.
- She played solo with an acoustic guitar, her voice was powerful and clear and she knew how to use it.
- But words can be an incredibly powerful tool.
- Yet, it is the simplicity of these principles that makes them so powerful.
- It's sometimes I think the best analogy for a koan is a painting that has a powerful effect on you.
- When this is done well - and it hardly ever is - it can be immensely powerful.
- His lyrics are powerful and emotive and come wrapped in lovely melodies.
- The work showed a director able to blend live action and special effects in powerful packages.
- How many other tv shows around today have such a powerful and predominately female cast?
4(loudspeaker/engine/weapon) potente(drug/detergent) potente(drug/detergent) fuerte(smell/current) fuerte
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.