In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A violent conquest would be followed by a prolonged period of martial law before the successful imposition of the English law became practicable.
- But he was released on the basis that it was no longer possible to remove him as soon as reasonably practicable.
- Many of his goals, such as making lone parent policies sensible and practicable, have already been well aired.
- I think in a service of total review of resourcing it is neither practicable nor doable.
- Again, as with maternity leave, he can change his mind but has to give 28 days notice (unless not reasonably practicable to do so).
- Most encouragingly, everyone believes that improvement is possible and practicable.
- It has now become so much harder for a Tory leader to persuade a dubious electorate that his policies are practicable and viable.
- Computer networking and modern phone systems make this possible, if not practicable: hoteling was a disaster.
- That is why it is a mistake to think of government as primarily concerned with collecting as much tax revenue as possible, practicable, or profitable.
- Section 9 requires employers to eliminate hazards whenever it is reasonably practicable to do so.
- It is neither practicable nor useful to provide a summary of all the reports undertaken by the CC and the conclusions reached in a book of this nature.
- In cases where enforcement of an undertaking by an order for its performance is still possible and practicable, such an order will no doubt be made more or less as a matter of course.
- They had to look at what is practicable and achievable.
- Any future disclosure would be preceded by prior notification to the Claimant save in exceptional circumstances where this was not reasonably practicable.
- The requirement is to make risks as low as is reasonably practicable.
- So I must deploy all possible, practicable means to be covert.
- This is a practicable possibility if the trial is in Ottawa but not if it is in London.
- It would be irresponsible of the present Government not to ensure, as far as reasonably practicable, that British citizens are defended.
- And I did consider it reasonably practicable for the works to be carried out: see paragraphs 24 and 86 of the judgment.
- Judicial inquiry into what was reasonably practicable in the timing of publication would be a recipe for uncertainty in an area where all parties have a common interest in certainty.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.