In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the praetorian guard — la guardia pretoriana
- Power is held by a strongman, surrounded by a praetorian guard.…
- Before his return Mucianus had reduced the praetorian guard, enlarged by Vitellius, to approximately its old size, and they were entrusted to Titus on his return.
- He surrounded himself with a praetorian guard, chosen more for its loyalty and orthodoxy than visionary intelligence.
- Around Blair, he has his own version of the no turning back group that formed a praetorian guard around Thatcher in the 1980s.
- It's far worse than anything that occurred in the Roman empire, until the praetorian guard started to sell the principate.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.