In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tipo de urogallo de América del Norte
- Our larder… is helped out by prairie chicken, quail, and a very small amount of venison, each in its season.
- There were the sheep, deer, grouse of some kind, some sort of prairie chicken in full peacock-like display, bald eagles, hawks, coyote and even some elk that I saw on the way home.
- Results for the prairie chicken indicated that a single vital rate consistently had greatest effect on population growth.
- Cattle grazed the pastures where prairie hens, quail and coyote roamed.
- It's not, of course, made with real prairie chicken.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.