1perro de las praderas masculine
- The ferret's survival has forever been entwined with that of the prairie dog, a foot-tall rodent that makes up about 90 percent of the predator's diet.
- A current example is the black-tailed prairie dog, which has been reduced to less than one percent of its historic range of 100 million acres and is in grave danger of extinction.
- For example, the prairie dog is a tremendous pest throughout the Western United States.
- Many species depend on the prairie dog for food or habitat, such as the swift fox, burrowing owl, and ferruginous hawk.
- A hawk hid under the potentilla bush and leaped suddenly on an overconfident prairie dog a little too far from its burrow.