In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1rezarorar formallet us pray — oremos formal
- they pray to many deities — rezan a muchos dioses
- to pray for sb/sth — rezar / rogar por algn/algo
- they prayed for the victims/their souls — rezaron / rogaron por las víctimas/sus almas
- let us pray to God for strength — pidámosle / roguémosle a Dios que nos dé fuerzas
- to pray for rain — rezar para que llueva
- let's pray for an easy paper — recemos para que nos toque un examen fácil
- to be past praying for — no tener salvación
1Religionshe prayed that God might help them — rogó a Dios que los ayudara
- I pray (to) God he's all right — Dios quiera que no le haya pasado nada
- She was helped through her exams by knowing that her vicar was praying for her to succeed.
- If that happens, please pray for my soul.
- So my advice is: pray more, sin less and live the life that God is calling you to live.
- If you wish to have children, you pray to the fertility goddess.
- He would lie on the ground and gaze upward at the heavens and pray for deliverance.
- I went to the local chapel, and prayed to the Almighty for help.
- The only explanation for this is a miracle from God, as we had been praying for her at church.
- We can discharge this obligation by simply praying for him as we pray for our dear ones and our own very selves.
- People fervently pray, hoping to keep the calamities at bay.
- Churches were praying for the souls of the kids caught up in the glare of those flashing lights.
- He looked like a priest praying for strength.
- I silently prayed to God for guidance as to what to do next.
- Muslims also pray in mosques on Friday, their holy day of the week.
- I am a devout Christian who prays every day.
- Today, for instance, women not only pray at the mosque but also participate in social activities there.
- But hundreds of people gathered outside to sing hymns and pray on his behalf.
- People pray to these deities because they have an adoration for the deity and have a feeling of awe about it.
- As well as this, consider getting involved in praying for the mission, or in helping out in a practical way.
- Robert silently prayed to God, hoping that others were backing him up on this case.
- And I started to pray out loud, and I just became immediately calm.
1pray be seated — por favor tomen asiento
- and what, pray (tell), is the point of this? — ¿y qué sentido tiene esto, si se puede saber?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.