In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(praying)oración femininethe power of prayer — el poder de la oración
- the king was at prayer — el rey estaba orando
- the Prayer Book — devocionario tradicional de la Iglesia Anglicana
- Human beings are addressing God in prayers for help against the inducements of the devil.
- So I am humbly requesting whatever prayers, good vibes and help you can muster.
- Jillian said a silent prayer to the gods of all small percussionists.
- I may be a sinner, but the sinner whom these prayers were describing was not me.
- Anne prayed her prayer of thanks to the Lord for this gracious meal and heard Luke praying with her.
- Helen closed the door behind the man, and said a silent prayer of thanks.
- Just before the final dive into the Pacific Ocean, she is heard leading the sinner's prayer for salvation.
- There are Shinto prayers and Shinto rituals, but the doctrine is minimal.
- The milder and more beneficent forces of nature were addressed as female deities and invoked with prayers.
- God answers our prayers because by addressing them to Him we acknowledge His Lordship and power.
- The core of the Muslim liturgy is the five obligatory daily prayers, whether performed alone or in congregation.
- At each shrine you pause, and you say some prayers and you greet each deity.
- The church also offers intercessory prayers for public authorities, both ecclesiastical and political.
- The conclusion that is drawn later is that remote, retroactive intercessory prayer is effective.
- A remote, retroactive intercessory prayer was said for the well being and full recovery of the intervention group.
- He fell to his knees, hands clasped in a prayer of thanksgiving.
- I take in shattered breaths, gathering all the strength I need, uttering a silent prayer to God.
- He concludes with a section on famous prayers and another of prayers by the famous.
- Sincere prayer also furthers the glorification of God, the goal of all creation.
- He muttered a quick prayer to God, asking him for forgiveness.
2(request, petition)oración feminineplegaria femininemy prayers were answered — mis plegarias fueron atendidas / escuchadas
- the Lord's Prayer — el Padrenuestro
- to say one's prayers — rezar
- to say a prayer — rezar una oración
- a prayer for sb/sth — una oración por algn/algo
- Our deepest sympathies, prayers and best wishes go out to our fellow citizens who were injured in the blast.
- You can send your prayers and good wishes to the families using the comments section below.
- We asked girls to share their thoughts, their hopes, their fears and their prayers.
- Swan will carry the hopes and prayers of Ireland as the country's current equine hero seeks to retain his crown.
- Just when she is about to give up hope, the answer to her prayers seems to fall out of the sky.
- To them, and to all of you, it is my wish and regular prayer that this new year will bring peace and harmony.
- But they are hoping the answer to their prayers lies in a disused warehouse on Westlea Industrial Estate.
- He could only hope that someday his prayers would be answered.
- The hopes and prayers of red squirrel-loving people everywhere march with you.
- She started the restaurant when her marriage dissolved, on little but hope and prayers.
- With a silent prayer hoping that her plan would work, she threw the talisman at the demons.
- So we got a lot of work ahead of us, but you know, we need all the hopes and the prayers from everybody at home.
- Villagers waiting more than 30 years for a new village hall hope their prayers will soon be answered.
3(service)Morning/Evening Prayer — oficio de maitines/vísperas masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.