In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Meteorologyprecipitacionesthere's very little precipitation in the Sahara — las precipitaciones son escasas en el Sahara
- Acid rain refers to any precipitation, rain or snow, that's more acid than ordinary rain or snow.
- Weather forecast: precipitation in the morning, rain in the afternoon.
- These clouds can also produce Virga, which is when precipitation falls but evaporates before it reaches the ground.
- Eventually saturation occurs and precipitation falls and downdrafts occur.
- The past few weeks have been stormy ones, but at resort level, precipitation is still falling as rain.
- The cold, but dry weekend I expected would now feature some precipitation, possibly snow or freezing rain, on Sunday.
- As air rises, it cools, and its humidity begins condensing into clouds and precipitation.
- And then it struck me that English does in fact distinguish precipitation from the stuff after it hits the ground.
- In places where the warmer air extends to the ground, the precipitation will fall as rain.
- A potent threat to the environment of industrialized countries and their neighbors, acid rain occurs when precipitation picks up industrial chemicals as it falls to earth.
- The end of August could lead to earlier nights and the odd spell of seasonal weather mixed in with unusual conditions, with precipitation likely where rain falls.
- So much rain has fallen that precipitation deficits from last year's drought have been eliminated.
- From one third to two-thirds of the precipitation falls as snow.
- This forecast was based on the assumption that normal precipitation would fall through May 1.
- The region has cool temperatures and frequent precipitation, fog, heavy cloud cover, and strong winds.
- If the rising air is humid enough, water vapor in it will condense into clouds and maybe precipitation.
- Rain is the precipitation of condensed water vapor caused when a warm front meets a cold front in the upper atmosphere.
- Rising motion and the associated low pressure favor precipitation and storm formation.
- If you have ever driven through dense precipitation such as rain, snow, sleet, or through fog, then you know the potential danger, especially when your vehicle is not equipped to face such conditions.
- This means that as the annual number of days with precipitation will tend to fall, the possibility of convective rainfall leading to copious rainfall in torrential rains will increase.
- The answer is probably related to the size of melt reservoirs and the kinetics of zircon solution and precipitation.
- Cell debris was removed by centrifugation, and the supernatant was fractionated by ammonium sulfate precipitation.
- The most common type of substitution reactions of compounds of metals is ion exchange accompanied by precipitation.
- Acidic proteins are known to trigger carbonate precipitation via matrix mediated processes in microbialites.
- Making ripened cheese is a three-step process: coagulation and precipitation of the curd, concentration of the curd, and ripening.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.