In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- As a precocious teenager, and now as a student, Millie has always shared her wild lifestyle with Jamie.
- A precocious composer (his earliest anthems date from c. 1663), he was sent to France and Italy about 1664 to study the latest fashions in music.
- As a boy, Freud was intellectually precocious and an extremely hard worker.
- She was a precocious child, it would seem, and already demonstrating where her adult interests would come to lie.
- A precocious child, he read voraciously and soon revealed an extraordinary aptitude for languages.
- There's still something of the precocious child about him.
- If I had my way I'd ban the most precocious kids from reading anything but Enid Blyton.
- The point is made early on that Daniel is an intellectually precocious child.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.