In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(make ready)(equipment/room) prepararour teacher is preparing us for the exam — la profesora nos está preparando para el examen
- I've been preparing myself for the interview — me he estado preparando para la entrevista
- prepare yourself for a shock! — ¡prepárate!
- I prepared myself mentally — me preparé mentalmente
- to prepare the ground / the way for sth — preparar el terreno para algo
2(make, put together)(meal/speech) preparar(report) redactarI'm preparing a paper for a conference — estoy preparando un trabajo para un congreso
- prepared with the finest ingredients — preparado con los mejores ingredientes
1prepararseto prepare for sth — prepararse para algo
- I have to prepare for the exam — tengo que prepararme para el examen
- They have been training with ex-professional coaches who prepared them for their trip of a lifetime.
- Often, they do not even want to be bothered about the setting or the decor prepared by their art directors.
- Current teachers identified a variety of benefits of working at camp in preparing them for teaching.
- The research team is currently preparing manuscripts for consideration.
- They apparently were allowed to prepare brief messages to family members, and that message was relayed to us by the Navy.
- As part of this, children are guided to prepare craft sheets and helped by teachers to understand shapes, colours, animals, birds and insects.
- If you're going to educate students and prepare them for society, part of what you consider is the environment they're educated in.
- Justices adjourned the case so the youth offending team can prepare a pre-sentence report considering all possible sentences.
- As a result of those select committee considerations, reports are prepared that are tabled in the House.
- Officials are currently preparing advice for consideration by the Government in the very near future.
- He includes instructions for preparing each item.
- The rest receive a vocational education that prepares them for a specialized, high-paying profession that allows them to be respected and valued for who they are and what they do.
- We can talk about responsibility of educating our children and preparing them for a better future.
- The council also prepared its own development brief for the site to guide companies seeking planning permission.
- The council had prepared numerous reports and considered many of the possible consequences of closure.
- Last week Cabinet instructed Crown Law to prepare an amendment reversing the decision in time for the current session of Parliament.
- I have a talk in San Diego this afternoon, and before then I have to prepare my overheads and teach my copyright class.
- She had been working all day in the kitchens, preparing food, cleaning dishes and had felt the whip of the slave master more than once.
- On this special occasion, the trimaran's skipper had prepared a few words in German for the local audience.
- We intend to use the surface for cutting, chopping and preparing food for serving and cooking.
- I had prepared a few words for my 45-second statement, and one of the guys typed it into their system - I don't know what he made of it.
- Without a refrigerator or stove, and perhaps only a hot plate to prepare meals, food choices are expensive and generally not very nutritious.
- The food is prepared as for a meal and is then analyzed for pesticide residue and toxic chemicals.
- Maria and Nova were busy preparing their food while Hero was helping his dad grill some fish and meat.
- The Meath man even showed his cooking skills when he prepared a meal for the judges in the early hours of Monday morning.
- The servants, dressed in black, were busy preparing the meal.
- She was going to be my adopted mother and taught me quite a few things, such as how to prepare food, cook rice, etc.
- While they sang and played, the mother was busy in the kitchen preparing food for the night's dinner.
- Your challenge is to sell them on the food they hate by preparing that ingredient in ways that might convert them.
- Dishes were prepared in vast cooking pots for the hundreds of inmates and served in a buffet in a huge dining hall, he said.
- The country's counter-terror approach needs to be "more layered, networked and resilient to make it smarter, and more adaptive," her prepared text said.
- Ticket holders have access to several stations where chefs prepare the food in woks and large sauté pans.
- Natalia and Kevin busied themselves preparing the mid-day meal.
- The boxes are tailored for those who want to use the food to prepare home meals or for those who use it in juicers.
- "Adolescents are not passive," the study author and sociology professor said in a prepared statement.
- Reading food labels and preparing your own meals with herbs and spices instead of salt can make a big difference.
- At Tian Tian Wang, all food has been prepared, marinated and cooked with different types of tea, in accordance with the nature of the food.
- For lunch, Amy prepared a delicious meal that was thoroughly enjoyed by everyone.
- Are your food preferences simple or do you prepare meals with many ingredients that must be stored?
- Telli's sister, his grandmother and two aunts were busy round the fireplace preparing the night's meal.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.