- It's an uphill battle to get them comfortable with the notion that ‘rightness’ is situational and that it is possible to be both descriptive and prescriptive.
- The lesson here is that you actually need to have a pretty good control of descriptive grammar before you can intelligently engage in prescriptive grammar.
- Chomsky's goal was not to write a prescriptive grammar book.
- He or she probably has the idea that to the extent that prescriptive rules are not followed, the language is somehow deteriorating.
- These kinds of prescriptive rules are part of a very outdated conception of grammar which, surprisingly, even in expert circles, is very much alive and well.