In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The party machine decides who is preselected to stand as their representative and the voters then make a choice of a party.
- The agreement aims to rewrite the rules of the computer business so consumers will be able to buy machines loaded with a variety of different software, not just those features preselected by Microsoft, the Justice Department said.
- Did the Liberals deliberately preselect Markus to make religion an issue?
- I don't know whether we will be under as much pressure as could if we had been preselected.
- Because budgeting is so complicated on building projects, you may find that preselecting a contractor - then bringing him or her in at this early stage - results in a more cost-effective design.
- We need to ensure that the people being preselected to stand for seats of Parliament fundamentally believe in the principles of the Labor Party and not their own self interests.
- In case the photograph is part of an advertisement, even the people are usually preselected.
- No better example can be found than in the way the party preselects its federal candidates.
- Frank agreed to meet the group five days from now at a spot preselected by Charlton and himself, so he could drive the group back to civilization without them experiencing the same hardships in reverse.
- So the audience is preselected for its receptivity to the message.
- That probably won't dissuade Members from preselecting him but he'll need to develop a harder edge if he makes it to the Senate.
- Doctors and midwifes at the 27 maternity care centres preselected consecutive patients.
- The fact that they have preselected me as a candidate is a step in changing the attitude of the party.
- Among the women there is another road racer, Nicole Cooke, who was also preselected in December, and on the track Vicki Pendleton, who has improved immeasurably this year, finishing fourth at the World Championships.
- No attempt was made to preselect individuals in long-term relationships, and thus the return rate from individuals who were eligible to participate could not be determined.
- The angles were preselected by using a random number table.
- The Liberals should think long and hard about preselecting a new candidate.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.