In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1presentableI'd better make myself presentable before they arrive — más vale que me arregle un poco antes de que lleguen
- he's hardly presentable in polite society — es impresentable
- Ordinary kids, the type most of us have cluttering up our living rooms, are just not genetically programmed to be presentable.
- Winning is first, but not far behind is winning in a manner that is presentable and palatable to the public.
- And Emma kept reminding us to put on makeup and make sure we looked presentable.
- By the time we were finished, the old man's grave looked quite presentable.
- We managed to set up the retaining wall near the back fence and our back yard now looks a lot cleaner and presentable than it was before.
- Despite her addiction, she likes to keep her apartment neat and presentable and says she tries to lead as decent a life as possible.
- My son wore black shoes, not his trainers, and a black shirt, but this was not presentable enough, apparently.
- After another half an hour of rushing about, the place was looking quite presentable, then right on time, there was a knock on the door.
- Unfortunately I can't take my dog to parties, so I need to find a nice, presentable, decent sort of man.
- Everybody likes to be in clean clothes and to look presentable, including the migrant workers.
- I wouldn't say he's especially handsome, although he's reasonably good looking and presentable.
- In short he really tried hard to make himself presentable, which he knew would help him when he called at houses selling his wares.
- You will look presentable when you want to look presentable, and today just isn't one of those days.
- They simply go ahead and recruit smartly dressed, presentable presenters.
- It was neat, paved and, if not prosperous, at least presentable.
- Almost an hour passed before Wendy felt presentable enough to leave the ladies' room.
- I have recently obtained secondhand copies of the books in question and they turn out to be very presentable indeed.
- In fact, making people look and sound presentable is big business these days.
- For now, I need to make myself presentable and get ready to watch the England vs. Denmark football match.
- When settling down in a career, one goes for a smoother, presentable look.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.