In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(now)en este momentoactualmentewe are presently discussing the matter — en este momento / actualmente estamos discutiendo el problema
- He is presently writing new material, and is in a Dublin studio this week to record his first single.
- Speed restrictions are presently in place and customers also experience a bumpy ride over this section of track.
- Most of the directors are presently siding with Georgine in covering up the report.
- One full time teacher is employed and there are 11 students presently on the course.
- In all my years I have never, ever, seen the roads within our urban area in as poor a state as they presently are.
- That is why the council is presently consulting with all interested parties about what people want from a new building.
- Steve Finn, a seasoned television director, is presently working on his feature debut.
- Helen's presently packing her bags for a trip home to England for the holidays.
- Problems, in fact, are many with traffic congestion presently leading the list.
- It is the highest honour the Council can award, and is an honorary title presently held by only a handful of individuals.
- Storage space for such a quantity of oil is presently lacking, and new facilities may need to be built.
- The commissioner said presently it was not possible to conduct surgeries in these hospitals.
- The town is presently prosperous, bustling and busy - let's keep it that way.
- The need for these efforts arises because of the age of some of the equipment presently in the playground.
- It presently has room for 70 pupils and will have about 120 children on the site.
- Social Security systems in the Caribbean are presently faced with quite a challenge.
- Mr Parrott said he hopes the new building will be open soon as presently the group has nowhere regular to meet.
- I intend to deal in some greater detail with the decision of the Supreme Court presently.
- I was soon lost in my thoughts again, and presently fell asleep from sheer exhaustion.
- Now that the design is about done, construction will begin presently.
- The computer this is being typed on will presently be packed into its shipping box, stuck in a truck for several days, and then a garage for a month.
2(soon)I'll be with you presently — enseguida / en un momento estoy contigo
- presently, he started to come round — pronto empezó a recobrar el conocimiento
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.