In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Historic preservationists want to save old buildings.
- On the one hand, preservationists believe that nature should not be reduced to dollars and cents.
- Most preservationists are focused on traditional buildings, and popular sentiment favours familiar monuments and main streets, rarely the modern.
- Such preservationists were also often collectors of fine art; they collected the finest of man's works and of nature's works, preserving both in museum-like settings.
- That shows him to be more than simply the wilderness preservationist he is often tagged as today.
- Do most film preservationists and archivists think home movies are worthy of preservation?
- From the beginning there have been preservationists who have argued that restoration is premature.
- Architectural preservationists, many of whom spent the '60s trying to prevent modernist projects from destroying the city's Victorian fabric, aren't always sympathetic.
- To help reverse this trend, the Namibian government has established a team of cultural preservationists - performers, artists, historians, and researchers.
- This school and others received a new lease on life when preservationists were able to show the state that properly renovated historic schools could actually be safer than new schools.
- Unlike the preservationists, we believe that it is our job to manage the animal kingdom with the natural predators that God has provided to keep populations in balance.
- Countering the trend toward developing the countryside to accommodate more housing are the preservationists, who want to expand parks, preserve a traditional country way of life, and keep urban dwellers out of these areas.
- While preservationists can provide copious examples of how to deal with seemingly redundant historic buildings in a profitable fashion across the globe, Moscow has its own examples of what can and should be done.
- Into this gloomy atmosphere came a national drive by preservationists and conservationists to create national parks and forests in the eastern United States.
- In 1995 a coalition of Virginia preservationists, historians and tourism officials came up with the idea and this unique programme to mark out the important sites.
- This is exactly what the tenants and preservationists believe is happening.
- His concluding chapter forecasts increasing success for plant and animal preservationists in the future.
- But historic preservationists, who have been fighting for years to save it, aren't about to give up.
- In recent years, buildings of the modern era are also coming under the protective wing of historic preservationists.
- Beijing officials, under criticism from conservative preservationists, are debating whether to restore old monuments to look exactly as they did before or to give them a more modern face, Mei said.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.