In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1casco presurizado masculine
- It will have a three-man crew, and the pressure hull has two hatches - one to transfer people from the stricken submarine and the other to allow access to a decompression area.
- The pressure hull was going to crack sooner or later.
- All other openings in the submarine's pressure hull have been sealed, presumably during the salvage attempts, so this is the only opportunity to go inside the wreck.
- The object of an anti-submarine (A/S) weapon was to pierce or rupture a submarine's pressure hull and let the submariner's worst enemy - the sea itself - make the kill.
- The pressure hull of the 667B submarine consists of ten compartments.
- The Virginia class does not have a periscope that penetrates the pressure hull but relies on digital cameras connected to the control room via fibre optic cables.
- No damage was reported to her pressure hull or reactor system, although two crew members were slightly injured - one with a broken nose and the other with a back strain.
- The torpedo's tubes are wrecked, and if they'd been so badly damaged as to crack the pressure hull (which they penetrate), the situation would have been dire.
- Still 8m off the 42m seabed, we finned over the deck gratings above the pressure hull.
- These were outside the pressure hull and could not be reloaded underwater.
- The outer hull has gone, leaving the pressure hull on view.
- Most of the wooden decking had been lost over time to expose the machinery that is fixed onto the pressure hull under the decking.
- Additionally an escape hatch in the forward and after compartments of the pressure hull were fitted, an innovation which saved many lives during the war.
- The passenger section of the pressure hull is a 1.85m transparent acrylic sphere, offering the prospect of a spectacular all-round view.
- Presumably the pressure hull had held, more or less.
- The Type 214 will have an increased diving depth of over 400m, due to improvements in the pressure hull materials.
- As with other Russian submarines, the Oscar features a double hull, comprising an inner pressure hull and an outer hydrodynamic hull.
- The use of high-tensile steels has reduced the weight of the pressure hull, allowing a larger load of fuel and ammunition.
- Here you will find the remains of the pressure hull of the first U-boat, with other fair-sized pieces of wreckage close by.
- Nuclear submarine HMS Trafalgar grounded off the Isle of Skye in November last year, damaging equipment on the hull but leaving her pressure hull and reactor system unharmed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.