In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- You will increase your influence and prestige through contact with politicians.
- Their main aim is to take power in their own countries, and attacking the demons is the best way to gain prestige and recruits.
- Some materials are available only in this campus, increasing its prestige as a museum.
- It can bring you prestige, renown, and a more lasting fame than Wonderbra commercials.
- It became, at the same time, a symbol of prestige and status and the basis of a major industry.
- The personality or prestige of authors is not usually a key selling point.
- Are the people who work on it more interested in prestige than the average, and if so why?
- If they concentrated on other things, they might not be able to achieve prestige in sports.
- It was used to translate Canadian achievements into increased power and prestige.
- He has gained his international prestige precisely by going his own way at all times.
- Things acquire monetary value on the basis of their prestige, not the other way around.
- He said that quality consistency guaranteed additional prestige for Bulgaria.
- If you desire and are willing to work for it, you can achieve enormous success, prestige, and fame.
- There will be no more duplicity, crookedness, and desire for name, fame, and prestige.
- Gaining colonies was thus not solely a matter of prestige or status but was regarded as an economic imperative for Germany.
- It lost much prestige and public support following strikes in the late 1960s and 1970s.
- As is the case in any empire, there is little prestige to be gained from such an association.
- His flair and showmanship won new audiences and gained the theatre great prestige.
- In return, a college gains prestige if one of its fellows turns out to be highly successful.
- How many more risks to our interests, to our prestige, and to our people are we to take?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.