In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1anteshis wife had died five years previously — su esposa había muerto cinco años antes
- sentence adverb previously we'd always stayed at the Plaza — antes / anteriormente siempre nos habíamos alojado en el Plaza
- He has discovered a few previously unknown stars and made them into very good players.
- Having a previously unknown twin sister sneak into the picture would cause anyone to act up.
- She said she was planning a holiday before starting a year of previously arranged study leave.
- Their results confirm the suspicion that it is a previously unknown coronavirus.
- When a diagnosis is eventually reached, it is on the basis of a previously unknown mutation.
- This already proved the world much older than had previously had been thought.
- At best it can reveal creatures or habitats previously unknown within an area.
- He had entered the Open five times previously, but failed to qualify every time.
- Actually, if you had read the posts you commented on previously you should already know.
- Lincoln Library is a vertitable god of libraries, not just because it was previously a church.
- You spoke previously about feeling yourself answerable to certain figures of the past.
- Windows has no memory of what was previously on screen before it was redrawn.
- He had moved to New York about 3 months previously to do something with his film career.
- In fact, she was a former bankrupt who had previously been charged with insurance fraud.
- People here do not know what previously locked doors they can push open, but they are trying to find out.
- She had been burgled before and had previously challenged at least one of her intruders.
- It has happened before, of course, and previously even involved the teams in the top tier.
- Caroline admits her training has opened her eyes to a world she was previously blind to.
- What is being generated is largely a random sample of previously unknown archaeology.
- The reason these new prophecies were previously unknown is that they never made the final cut.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.