In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1sacerdote masculinemasculine cura (párroco)masculine párrocomasculine pope
- The priests of the Roman Catholic Church are ordained men, accustomed to trust and honor in the communities they serve.
- To be ordained a priest in the Church, a person had to be able to read Syriac and learn the Syriac liturgy by heart.
- Classes were taught by the Jesuit priests and brothers and a few civilian instructors.
- The priest blesses the couple, and they officially become husband and wife.
- After leaving Perth he was a priest at the Anglican Church of St Augustine at Bulli in New South Wales.
- Ordained an Anglican priest, he did keep up with his era's intellectual currents.
- In the Eastern Orthodox religion, priests are the primary religious authorities; they are permitted to marry.
- Catholic priests are the church leaders, with one serving several villages in a contiguous area.
- Local priests hold religious services and perform baptisms, confirmations, weddings, and funerals.
- Roman Catholic priests lead mass and deliver the sacrament.
- Because of the strong influence of the Catholic Church, priests are the most important religious practitioners at the local level.
- Three members of the congregation at St James' Church in Devizes are to undergo training to become Anglican priests.
- Catholic priests or Protestant ministers can be most stimulating in such a discussion.
- Around about age 13 I got the idea that I ought to be a priest in the Anglican church.
- They were delighted to have me for Mass in their little church as the parish priest visited only every three months.
- Catholic priests and other ministers have taken vows of poverty or vowed to live meekly.
- Marriage may be conducted by a celebrant, a Church priest, or a vicar.
- Within months, the masons had built a stone church and the priests had baptized the king and most of the nobility.
- Most important, the closings underscore what the much-discussed priest shortage really means.
- Coun Dodd is an Anglican priest who spent several years as a hospital chaplain at Castle Hill hospital near Hull.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.