In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They assert that parental rights are so important they should be given primacy over other competing considerations, or, at the very least, should be balanced against these other considerations.
- As they explained their positions, some phrases popped up here and there: personal responsibility, suspicion of big government, the primacy of the individual.
- Thus the principles of the Convention give primacy to the fundamental rights of children while appreciating the importance of strong families to the healthy development of the child.
- Safety normally has no place as a cornerstone liberal principle or progressive impulse, since it implies a conservative approach to politics - order takes primacy over change.
- Some religions give primacy of value to mystical union, some to works of charity, some to justice, and some to ritual observance.
- New York also cemented its primacy as a financial hub.
- The so-called primacy of conscience offers no useful way forward in our current dilemmas.
- Behaviorism, emphasizing the primacy of environment over instincts, held special appeal for reformers.
- Science accords primacy to the facts themselves, and requires that conclusions honor them.
- First-rate higher education institutions place primacy of importance on research and this is increasingly the case here at Waterford.
- When it comes to service, it is the poor and the needy who take primacy in her priorities.
- The most critical issue in the current situation is the primacy of international law.
- The primacy of logic stems from the fact that we have to know what knowledge is so we will recognize that we have met its demands in a particular case.
- The ethical principle of autonomy asserts the primacy of patients' individual choices.
- His core belief is in the primacy of the individual in society.
- In fact, if there is any right which enjoys primacy among rights, it is arguably the principle of equality and non-discrimination.
- That's about as strong a statement of the primacy of the individual over the state as you could imagine.
- There is always the talk of the importance and needed primacy of primary care in our health care system.
- The consensus for the ethical conduct of human research gives primacy to individual human rights.
- During the freedom movement women's issues were very much to the fore, and Gandhi in particular gave primacy to social reform, especially relating to women, as an integral part of the struggle for freedom.
- Forster reflected the position on papal primacy taken by the Anglican - Roman Catholic International Commission for ecumenical dialogue.
- But do we really need another in-house hassle over papal primacy versus episcopal collegiality?
- An excellent defense of the need for a reformed universal primacy of the Bishop of Rome in a reunited Church is also included.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.