In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(first, basic)(source/sector) primario(industry) de base(energy) primario
- A current transformer has a pair of input terminals and a primary side which is switchable to different measuring ranges.
- We do not know whether the tumor in the bone marrow represents a primary or metastatic process.
- Biopsy of the primary growth itself is diagnostic and may show caseating granulomatous inflammation.
- These two pins are the primary winding of the transformer.
- There are two primary planting seasons for perennials: spring and fall.
- As primary bone tumors are rare in toddlers, search for a primary tumor metastatic to bones is needed.
- Alternating current flowing in the primary (input) coil creates a continually changing magnetic field in the iron core, this field also passes through the secondary (output) coil and the changing strength of the magnetic field induces an alternating voltage in the secondary coil.
- The risk for developing metastatic lesions from primary cutaneous melanomas increases with tumor thickness.
2(principal)(role/aim/purpose) primordial(aim/role/purpose) principal(aim/role/purpose) fundamentalprimary accent / stress — acento primario / principal masculine
(in US)primaria feminine
2bobina del circuito primario feminine
3color primario masculinecolor fundamental masculine
4pluma primaria feminine
5escuela (de enseñanza) primaria femininebefore noun primary (school) teacher — maestra (de escuela) feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.