In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Botanyprimavera feminineprímula feminine
- Winter standby - calendulas, cyclamens, pansies, violas, primroses, stock and snapdragons - plus some of the hardy groundcovers, can be planted.
- You can keep your container current with seasonal themes by growing a succession of plants, such as bulbs and primroses in the spring, annuals and vegetables in the summer, and colorful kale and pansies in autumn.
- Pale yellow primroses are also a favourite plant in our garden, but there are hundred of others to choose from with colours to suit every taste.
- Cluster them with snapdragons, primroses, forget-me-nots and alyssum in mixed beds or in containers.
- The Cowslip Count took place in the spring of 2000 and we received data on over 2,000 places around the UK where cowslips, primroses and false oxlips are growing.
- Spring flowers - celandines, primroses, violets, wood anemones - were followed by pyramid and early purple orchids, wild thyme and rockrose.
- Interplant pink ranunculus with salmon Iceland poppy and red-purple pansies, and accent with a few yellow and pink English primroses.
- Everything in this country - daffodils, primroses, almond trees, bumblebees, nesting birds - is a month ahead of schedule.
- Can you suggest anybody who sells wild flower seeds and/or plants such as poppies, primroses, large - flowered daisies and so on?
- Geraniums, pansies, petunias, primroses and snapdragons could provide shades of red late fall through spring.
- Auricula primroses are very different from the Candelabra and Polyanthus primroses.
- October is a great time to plant trees and shrubs as well as winter and spring flowering plants such as pansies, primroses and wall flowers.
- Most gardeners know - and grow - primroses and polyanthus.
- If you like spring flowers then there are primroses, coltsfoot, dogs mercury, wood sorrel and many other species.
- Around this time of year, there is a good show of daffodils, tulips, primroses, primula, helibores orientalis and other spring flowers.
- A natural glen is planted with an assortment of shade-loving plants, including hellebores, ferns, fucshias, azaleas and primroses.
- More than half the top 20 plants were spring flowers, including primroses, wild narcissi and lime-green euphorbias.
- I'm going to paint among the wild flowers of oak woods - primroses, bluebells, anemones and wild garlic, above an estuary as the tide ebbs and flows.
- There is nothing more showy in a spring garden than Polyanthus primroses.
- In kinder climates such as hers, she says, pulmonarias, cyclamen, and primroses bloom early enough to pair nicely.
2also primrose yellowamarillo pálido masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.