In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- One of these ladies was Pharaoh's daughter, a princess!
- He tried to remain calm, but it was hard to do when he was holding within him the secret of a lifetime, that he was in love with her daughter, a princess.
- Deputy President Jacob Zuma is engaged to a Swaziland princess, the daughter of Prince Phiwokwakhe Dlamini, his office announced on Saturday.
- Henriette Amazo was a princess, the only daughter of a powerful king - his youngest child.
- We have been primed for it from the very beginning with fairy tales, princes and princesses falling in love at first sight and, mysteriously, living happily ever after.
- The Pharaoh followed by the main queens, Nefertari, and Istnofret, followed by the Crown Prince Merenptah then came the princesses and the remaining princes.
- He gave him Meritaten, the oldest princess, as a wife and even crowed him a co-regent.
- The grounds contain the remains of Elsynge Hall, one of Henry VIII's many hunting lodges and a favourite childhood residence of the young princess Elizabeth.
- So, being the king had no other blood relatives, Redoth decided he was going to marry the princess.
- Stories of angels, princes and princesses of far-away lands and fairy tales would certainly carry off children to a new world, where their imagination could take on wings.
- The first and most likely possibility is that Pharaoh's daughter remained a princess.
- Her name is R'jas un Z'kovn Sy'yski and she is the Muse princess, daughter of Prince Noyus and next in line for the throne.
- As the crowd parts the King of Arms entourage enters the foyer leading the king and his daughter, the princess, to the stage.
- The second row was occupied by the sultan's unmarried daughters, the princesses Nurmalitasari, Nurkamnari Dewi, Nurabra Juwita and Nurastuti Wijareni.
- Kylie was the perfect daughter, the perfect princess.
- Additional estates were granted to the empress dowager, the heir apparent, imperial princesses, imperial in-laws, and members of the merit aristocracy.
- Perhaps there should be a rule that princes only become monarch if there are no princesses, and that all Governors General be female?
- If she had a mind to forgive him, it vanished as she spied him in the company of the Trojan princess Cassandra, daughter of Priam.
- So the king asked the soldier which of the princesses he would choose for his wife; and he answered, ‘I am not very young, so I will have the eldest.’
- She was the princess of Argos, daughter of King Acrisus.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.