In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(basic fact, law)principio masculinein principle — en principio
- I work on the principle that nothing is impossible — yo parto de la base de que nada es imposible
- on that principle — partiendo de esa base
- to start from first principles — empezar por lo básico / por los principios fundamentales
- to go back to first principles — volver a lo básico / a los principios fundamentales
- Mbemba designed the machine around the mathematical principle of the sinuskurve, or sine wave.
- Yet, that was the age of levers and pulleys, and machines based on mechanical principles were being used as analog computers in many different ways.
- The principles of natural law gained ground, and accompanying them came a growing belief in the equality of all human beings.
- He adopted a new basis for hydrostatics, using two principles from his mechanics, and explained for the first time how a heavy beam can be floated in very little water.
- However, back then, explanations that were given to the general public regarding the actual principle of the flying machine appeared to be quite vague.
- This is a foundation principle of western justice and a basic human right.
- The principles underlying steam power, machine tools, and mass production were less familiar, hence less transparent.
- In my tale, I set out the metaphysical principles, i.e. principles outside the closed system of the ethics being discussed, on which the ethics are based.
- He might have used mechanical aids such as Alberti's veil, the various gadgets illustrated by Durer, or other machines following similar principles.
- There's sense here in going back to some of the basic principles of liberal political philosophy.
- But it was only with the publication of Filangieri's great work that a comprehensive reformulation of the nature and underlying principles of the state and of society finally emerged.
- And yet, of course, our principles of fairness and justice must be upheld.
- It is a fraternal order whose basic principles are philanthropy, truth and brotherly love.
- Draconian provisions which alter the principles and foundation of our legal system may serve in the long run to undermine that system and give rise to perfidies not initially contemplated.
- The freedom to make a choice is the basic principle of our democratic world.
- One of the basic principles of a democratic, liberal country is the decentralization of power.
- The evenly balanced scales of blind justice derive from this principle.
- The basic principle for a democratic republic is the independence of the three branches of government executive, legislature and judiciary.
- What are some of the basic principles and beliefs of Catholicism?
- It is a fundamental principle in our system of justice that people are treated the same, regardless of their income or status in life, and it is important to uphold that.
- The challenge to their leadership is to have the courage to support basic democratic principles, only excluding those, who by their actions exclude themselves.
- It is simply not possible to negotiate a political settlement with people who do not understand, or who refuse to accept, basic democratic principles.
- The assumption is that these principles of justice underlie any conception of the good.
- Although its application was inevitably uneven, the Code Napoléon was intended to serve as a universal set of principles founded on reason.
- In this introductory article, we lay out some basic principles for understanding complex systems.
- Following the enlightenment principle of truth through reason alone, it was thought that history cannot be determined until theology has been removed.
1.2(motive force)principio masculinebefore noun the pleasure principle — el principio de placer
- Doing what's right appears to be more of a concern for him than for the average person; his platform is strongly governed by his personal principles.
- There are three key defining experiences in my life that form the foundation of my principles and beliefs.
- Although some aspects of suicidal behaviour might be interpreted as rational, the behaviour is contrary to basic biological principles of survival.
- Commonly, the codes will address certain principles, and these will be governed by written rules.
- Rarely have I encountered anyone as passionate and determined in his principles as Donald Bruce, a true patriot and a man who led a remarkable life.
- Law, in the sense of rules and principles that govern human conduct, is a blunt instrument.
- But I'm going to speak directly from the heart based on the principles that I believe in.
- If you can forsake your fundamental principles for any reason then you are not the kind of person who can take the country forward.
- These principles have governed Snow's approach in growing the family business tenfold since he took the reins in the mid 1980s.
2(rule of conduct)principio masculinea man/woman of (high) principle — un hombre/una mujer de principios
- it was a matter of principle — era una cuestión de principios
- I never borrow money, on principle/ as a matter of principle — nunca pido dinero prestado, por principio
- to have no principles — no tener principios
- it is against my principles — va contra mis principios
- she's always lived up to her principles — siempre ha sido consecuente con sus principios
- it's the principle of the thing — es una cuestión de principios
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.