In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- She's the prioress of the community now, so such matters are her responsibility.
- Benedictine authority and obedience are achieved through dialogue between a community member and her prioress in a spirit of co-responsibility.
- She was prioress of the first reformed Carmelite convent in France, and spread the teachings of the founder of the French School, Pierre de Berulle, through the movement.
- For Sister Mary Gabriel, who used to teach but is now the prioress, she hopes things will be get a little busier once the CD is on the shelves.
- Of noble birth, she entered religious life at the age of 14 and rose to become prioress of her convent at Disibodenberg.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.