In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They're the ones sitting in prison cells across our country!
- He is now sharing a prison cell with 16 other people.
- Hussein watched the proceedings from his prison cell in an undisclosed location.
- Making a movie of a book set in a claustrophobic South American prison cell populated by two people couldn't have been easy.
- The prison cells are designed to accommodate two to three prisoners.
- You get an interesting view of outside society from the inside of a prison cell.
- Even in a prison cell, a lot of news gets through.
- Three years in a prison cell hardly helped Tyson reclaim his former skills.
- Jeffrey Archer was last night returning to his prison cell following his first day of work at a theatre on day release from jail.
- Exactly a week later he was found suspended by a ligature in his prison cell.
- Right now, there is a man in a Moscow prison cell who is accustomed to better amenities.
- He discovered her sipping a typical childhood treat of cola in a cramped prison cell.
- A father charged with the murder of his six-year-old son was today found dead in his prison cell, having apparently committed suicide.
- Instead, he will watch his fellow classmates graduate from his prison cell.
- Martin was stabbed to death in his prison cell in 1972.
- MPs have in the past even fought campaigns from their prison cells.
- A prison cell is one of the only unfamiliar places in the world where he might feel safe.
- This was a simple dream: I was sitting alone in a prison cell.
- The only good housing solution for habitual sex offenders is a prison cell.
- Hines died of cancer alone in a prison cell, aged 55, early this month.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.