In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1funcionario de prisiones masculinefuncionaria de prisiones feminine
- I asked Bill a little about work as a prison officer, especially with prisoners who had been sent down for life imprisonment.
- One hand was hand-cuffed to a prison officer; the other held a copy of Shelley's poems.
- A vigilant prison officer has foiled a plan to smuggle a large quantity of heroin into a maximum security jail.
- We actually have a report of one case where an inmate had sexual relationships with a male prison officer and with a female prison officer.
- The prison officer went on to state that the intelligence applied to prisoners on the wing, not to the whole establishment.
- The prison officer serves a sentence almost as much as the prisoner does.
- Under special escorted leave, a prison officer in civilian clothes takes the prisoner out in an unmarked car to an approved destination.
- On the other hand, the system may be perfectly satisfactory but the prison officer responsible for keeping observation may fall asleep on duty.
- He was said to have been playing cards with a prison officer outside his cell when the prisoner came up and punched him.
- However, about half an hour before he was found, he had seemed reasonably cheerful when discussing a possible transfer with a prison officer.
- Last week a prison officer in England began a six-year jail sentence for attempting to supply heroin to inmates.
- No-one was injured during the incident which involved a female prison officer and a Category A prisoner, the highest risk group of inmates.
- One prison officer is filmed waking detainees by shouting down a tannoy system, blasting them with loud music.
- He worked in all but one of the prisons in Northern Ireland as a prison officer and a physical education instructor.
- The next crime for which I would sanction the death penalty is the murder of either a prison officer or another inmate whilst serving a life sentence.
- A man who attacked a prison officer while in a court dock has been jailed for three months.
- A woman prison officer at Wakefield Jail was being held hostage in a cell by a male prisoner late last night.
- Any prison officer that becomes a serving prisoner will face difficulties.
- I once arranged for a graduate student to go through the entire prison officer training programme at Newbold Revel.
- One prison officer died in the break-out and six others suffered gun-shot wounds.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.