In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Parker's Spenser is the best private eye in American detective fiction and has been for at least the past 20 years.
- Tracing people is just one of the jobs private eyes take to make ends meet.
- Jack's a hard-boiled private eye who narrates the entire film in voice-over, and who finds himself investigating an ancient Egyptian cult that worships chainsaws.
- I thought I was watching some television detective show where the private eye puts together the clues and reveals the killer, who then admits all and is ready to be taken away.
- And Donald was a great character, a detective in the classic sense of an old-school private eye detective.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.