In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(events)proceedings began late — la reunión (or el acto etc.) empezó tarde
- rain interrupted proceedings at a very tense moment in the game — la lluvia interrumpió el desarrollo del juego en un momento de gran tensión
- two teachers were there to keep an eye on proceedings — había dos profesores vigilando lo que sucedía
2(measures)medidas femininethere will be no disciplinary proceedings — no se tomarán medidas disciplinarias
- to start / (formal) institute proceedings against sb — entablarle juicio a algn
- It is a delicate task to choreograph the proceedings in such a way as to sidestep them.
- Mr Cullen said there have been major developments since the proceedings were initiated.
- Even the proceedings of the programme were different in tune with its central theme.
- Five demonstrators were arrested at the end of the protest, when proceedings had all but ended.
- Bring your own nibbles and drinks, along with a plate of afternoon tea to share at the end of the proceedings.
- One could see a mixture of emotions from the elders, who gathered to watch the proceedings.
- As the sleeve notes say, perhaps it was a rather odd idea to kick off proceedings with a series of unheard songs.
- This allowed their players to make it to the ground, albeit after the start of proceedings.
- The anchor tried to pep up the proceedings with titbits and comments on every participant.
- With David Chapman conducting proceedings, the concerts promise to be splendid affairs.
- In a modern economy, there are two specific ways politicians affect proceedings.
- They advised the group that they were on a construction site but did not intervene in proceedings.
- A model of consistency, she is rarely far away at the business end of proceedings and will make her presence felt again.
- Yau was angry to hear city council has started formal expropriation proceedings.
- Access to proceedings by means of a television camera will assist this process.
- Acorn began slowly and allowed Stanley to dominate the early proceedings when scoring two converted tries.
- A planning team from Singapore is here to observe the proceedings and arrangements.
- The often fussy Mr Riley raised a yellow card at Tugay and then McMahon in a staccato start to proceedings.
- Afterwards they sit watching the rest of the proceedings from the main body of the Throne Room.
- Taking pride of place were two giant screens that projected the proceedings live.
- Indeed, some of the accounts from the proceedings of the Commission read like most charged drama.
- A Government on the defensive will even censor Parliament proceedings if it has to.
- If you want to read the entire proceedings of World Youth Day, the laundry list can be found here.
- The judge claimed that he had failed to retrieve the records and proceedings of five cases.
- His results were published in the proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences last Monday.
- The authors of abstracts in conference proceedings were contacted for further information.
- Estate accounts, legal proceedings, and title to land all began to be made in writing.
- Like most conference proceedings this book is likely to be of interest to quite a limited audience.
- The proceedings of this conference were published as Sport in History in 1979.
- The group publication of conference proceedings is rarely unproblematic.
- The paper appeared in the conference proceedings of which Rankin was himself an editor.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.