In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(blasphemy, vulgarity)irreverencia feminineblasfemia feminine
- But the key words in understanding swearing, as opposed to coarse language or mere profanity, are taboo and shock.
- We cut back to the splitscreen view so we can also see the studio anchorman, who's obviously similarly at a loss by the outburst of profanity.
- His highly polished boots and the ivory-handled revolvers strapped to his hips were all part of this posturing, as was the profanity of his language.
- Mercedes was taken back by the sudden change of emotion on Jake's face and his abrupt outburst of profanity.
- Janis Joplin is fined $200 for violating local profanity and obscenity laws for her performance after a concert in Tampa, Florida.
- Zora raises her hand: ‘Never use profanity or inappropriate language.’
- Now let me be quite clear that I'm not the kind of person given to the use of profanity or offensive language.
- The atmosphere of the billiard room, it was suggested in South Shields, was also conducive to profanity and bad language.
- Whenever I use profanity in my posts, the language in the comments inevitably becomes coarser.
- Similarly, don't use profanity, obscenity, slander or libel.
2(swear word)blasfemia feminine
- Interestingly enough, I avoided emitting a stream of profanities as I made a completely futile attempt to steer.
- I won't even delve into the profanities this elicited in explosive bursts as I read his latest missive taking me to task for this or that.
- When a song makes you want to get up and dance, hug someone, grope someone and shout profanities all at once, is it special or are you?
- I didn't notice him until he ejected a stream of swear words and profanities when we were told to leave the train and wait on platform three.
- His mumbled curses and profanities were becoming more and more apparent.
- And then, all of a sudden Garrett is taking a solo so unbelievably impassioned, he has me screaming profanities.
- May I be so bold as to encourage the use of profanities… for real… not just symbols.
- We hastily examined the despatched message to check that an obscenity or profanity had not somehow slipped in, or that a word could have been misinterpreted.
- That means the music is turned down to a tolerable level and the arguments peppered with colourful church-related profanities begins.
- Looking over my shoulder, it was alarming to see 20 people in black charging through gravestones, mouthing profanities.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.