In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(gift/apology/flowers) ofrecer(advice) brindar(advice) dar(condolences) presentar
- They too will have to work with accepting the new notes and with proffering the correct change.
- It brings together a range of practitioners, scholars and entrepreneurs proffering a swirl of opinions, ideas and stories about where things are going with independent media.
- Theories were suggested, opinions were proffered, heads of channels pontificated.
- The Swede is not averse to proffering a glowing reference: ‘He's a great guy.’
- Subdued like many of his compatriots early on, Ballack grew stronger as the competition progressed, netting match-winners and proffering the kind of midfield creativity that Germany so clearly lacked.
- All accused persons can ordinarily expect to receive the benefit of some credit in the matter of sentence (and for that matter in the non-parole period also) when proffering a plea of guilty.
- Scots have always been known for the genuine warmth of their welcome, proffering a dram or cup of tea with the extended hand of friendship.
- Adding to the action will be wedding vendors - planners, limo reps, hair stylists, photographers, jewelers, etc. - proffering their wares.
- Six years after that, he was elected leader of the free world and began ‘case cracking’ on a dizzying array of subjects, proffering his various solutions, in both foreign and domestic affairs.
- With around a third of those who resigned from clubs proffering the explanation that they were not playing enough to make their memberships worthwhile, pay-and-play courses continue to prosper.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.