In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(side view)perfil masculinein profile — de perfil
- Germany's Bild newspaper accused Mercedes of copying its Munich-based rival and published pictures of the two cars' interiors, tails and side profiles, asking readers to spot the difference.
- I came out of the shower not too long ago and looked at my side profile in the mirror.
- I was speechless as I stared at the side profile of his face.
- Lynn was wearing too much makeup, like always, and her side profile made her nose look like it protruded too far out from the rest of her face.
- She studied herself from the front, then turned to the side and inspected her profile.
- The guy turned slightly and Rika managed to catch his side profile.
- I have been told that my side profile is less rotund.
- It turns heads with its front, side and rear profiles.
- The side skirt profiles of the Haddonfield tables all rise in the center whereas this one drops.
- Once he had finished dressing he stood in front of the mirror and smiled proudly at his side profile.
1.2(outline)perfil masculinecontorno masculine
2(description)perfil masculinefeminine reseñaprofiles of several young authors — reseñas sobre varios escritores jóvenes
- an accurate consumer profile — un perfil fiable del consumidor tipo
- psychological/DNA profile — perfil psicológico/del AND
- The Guardian also has a short profile, with some links to other articles…
- Live Wire also contains backstage stories and profiles, including an article on Jon Marans as background for Old Wicked Songs.
- He wrote a short profile on each member of the panel that was on board the plane that evening.
- His most recent feature article was a profile of Elaine Pagels in the November 2004 issue.
- Even for the short profiles of the individual Pacific Islands nations and territories, not one of the authors is an indigenous Pacific Islander.
- The other article was a profile on noted Minneapolis artist Armajani and his newest exhibit.
- The idea is simple: 99 people, products, services or organizations that are remarkable, each with a short profile.
- He also slides in short profiles of the key players, including Turner's nemesis Gerald Levin, who was then CEO of the new Time Warner AOL.
- There'll be at least an extra column every Thursday on our website, where track descriptions, driver profiles and results also will be found.
- I was reading this Guardian article on customer profiles of supermarket shoppers, and it got me thinking about my own habits.
3(status)to raise the profile of educational matters — dar más relieve a las cuestiones relativas a la enseñanza
- the army had a high profile in national life — el ejército tenía un papel preponderante / ocupaba un lugar destacado en la vida del país
- to keep a low profile — tratar de pasar desapercibido / de no llamar la atención
1(situation) hacer un esbozo deto profile sb's life — hacer una reseña biográfica de algn
- the designer will be profiled in our next issue — el próximo número incluye una nota / reseña sobre el diseñador
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.