In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- There will be a prolonged recovery period because of the damage the lorry sustained and its precarious position.
- The prolonged period of peace in Europe has created a dangerous temptation to neglect our defences, both physical and psychological.
- His international career will also be put on hold for the autumn internationals while he begins a prolonged recovery period.
- Because of the prolonged dry spell, drought had hit various parts of the region.
- Drought is a prolonged, abnormally dry period when there is not enough water to meet normal or expected needs.
- It is possible that prices could mark time for a prolonged period while earnings catch up.
- Symptoms need to have been present for a prolonged period of time for a true diagnosis to be made.
- We would view any period of prolonged weakness in the oil sector as a buying opportunity.
- These drugs can be continued under the supervision of your doctor for prolonged periods.
- There are plenty of potatoes in the ground and it looks like a prolonged drought or difficult harvest will be required to lift prices.
- Ironically, areas of Korea are currently being afflicted by a prolonged drought.
- Then there was that period of prolonged negotiation, which we have captured on video.
- Currently I'm suffering from a prolonged period of insomnia.
- With two single player campaigns, Enclave provides a lengthy and prolonged battle for both sides.
- With surgical procedures to follow, it can mean a prolonged period in hospital and recuperating afterwards at home.
- The announcement yesterday was the culmination of a period of prolonged difficulties for Mr Richards.
- It retreated in subsequent periods of prolonged dryness, leaving deposits of sediments.
- To avoid missing too many bites it pays to hold the rod at all times, perhaps using a front rest to steady the tip when fishing for prolonged periods.
- I love it, but it's a little hard to read because it's heavy and hard to hold up for prolonged periods of time.
- Lack of snow last winter, almost no rain in spring or summer and searing temperatures for prolonged periods have had a major impact on the grape harvest.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.