In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Read to children and have them read to you - they will benefit from word recognition and pronunciation.
- She heard it again, as she winced at the awful pronunciation of her last name.
- A dictionary is also a good resource for the proper pronunciation of words.
- The pronunciation of Chinese surnames can induce mild identity crisis.
- When she told Joseph, he nodded, and corrected her pronunciation.
- Babies are also subjected to exaggerated pronunciation of vowels.
- This, of course, further enhanced the divisions in speech and pronunciation between the north and south of England.
- Correct pronunciation and proper use of words will enhance language skills.
- After reading, judges check on their pronunciation, accent, posture and eye contact.
- I noticed the slightly different pronunciation, and spotted it as sounding French.
- Her voice was a quiet growl, her pronunciation of each word a blunt edge ripping into him.
- Like any other comparable dictionary worth its name, it does contain words, pronunciations, parts of speech, meanings and examples, which form the core of the volume.
- Surely you are not going to allow the French to determine the pronunciation of English words!
- After his pronunciation, they heard the front door open and voices echo down the hall.
- You should speak it well, complete with the right pronunciation and intonation.
- An acronym, after all, is a word whose full meaning is concealed by its pronunciation.
- Expecting Frenchmen to alter their pronunciation of a French name would be ludicrous.
- This girl is so concerned with pronunciation, you almost can't get by the words to hear the music in the song.
- A key point is that the primary coding scheme is based on pronunciation rather than on spelling.
- It was an accent or a hiccup in her pronunciation that made all the difference.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.