In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Correct pronunciation and proper use of words will enhance language skills.
- Surely you are not going to allow the French to determine the pronunciation of English words!
- It was an accent or a hiccup in her pronunciation that made all the difference.
- Like any other comparable dictionary worth its name, it does contain words, pronunciations, parts of speech, meanings and examples, which form the core of the volume.
- After reading, judges check on their pronunciation, accent, posture and eye contact.
- Babies are also subjected to exaggerated pronunciation of vowels.
- After his pronunciation, they heard the front door open and voices echo down the hall.
- This girl is so concerned with pronunciation, you almost can't get by the words to hear the music in the song.
- This, of course, further enhanced the divisions in speech and pronunciation between the north and south of England.
- A key point is that the primary coding scheme is based on pronunciation rather than on spelling.
- Read to children and have them read to you - they will benefit from word recognition and pronunciation.
- Her voice was a quiet growl, her pronunciation of each word a blunt edge ripping into him.
- An acronym, after all, is a word whose full meaning is concealed by its pronunciation.
- You should speak it well, complete with the right pronunciation and intonation.
- A dictionary is also a good resource for the proper pronunciation of words.
- I noticed the slightly different pronunciation, and spotted it as sounding French.
- When she told Joseph, he nodded, and corrected her pronunciation.
- Expecting Frenchmen to alter their pronunciation of a French name would be ludicrous.
- The pronunciation of Chinese surnames can induce mild identity crisis.
- She heard it again, as she winced at the awful pronunciation of her last name.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.