In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(possessions)propiedad femininethese vehicles are the property of the government — estos vehículos son propiedad del gobierno
- whose property is it? — ¿de quién es?
- don't damage other people's property — no dañes las cosas ajenas
- it's my personal property — es mío
- the government is selling off public property — el gobierno está vendiendo bienes públicos
- the news has become public property — la noticia es ya del dominio público
- a man of property — un propietario acaudalado / adinerado
- Thousands of pounds worth of property have been stolen from properties on the outskirts of town in recent weeks.
- Valuable property was stolen, but worst of all was the trail of damage that was left behind.
- There are others who break into vehicles and steal other people's property and make residents feel unsafe in their own community.
- He also faces a charge of possessing stolen property in connection with the March 11 incident.
- Security coding property helps police identify and return stolen property to the owner.
- They also found cash and stolen property at other properties connected to the defendants.
- She knew immediately that her mother was going to hound Ferdinand for the money, perhaps even possess his belongings or property.
- When arrests were made stolen property was recovered that belonged to two victims of a robbery in the town centre.
- Stop-and-search is conducted when officers have a reasonable suspicion that a person is carrying a weapon or stolen property.
- This series and its characters are my property and can only be used with my permission.
- Police are recommending charges of possessing stolen property, and break, enter and theft against the man.
- I wonder if he knows his property is being stolen by fanatics?
- Generally, the more damage you do to property, or the more property you steal, the worse the punishment.
- And far too many have had their property stolen or vandalised.
- People stole property because of suffering when the mine closed down.
- My art is still my art, but those characters are their property now.
- Before fleeing the scene, after the 30-minute ordeal, the men stole property from the victims' handbags.
- Down the years we did hear from time to time that it was being planned to raise the wreck from the seabed and recover much valuable property.
- The flamboyant loyalist has been accused of possessing and concealing criminal property.
- She stole my company's property, which she knew very well belonged to me.
- But how were those notions of ownership and property understood in customary terms?
- What we think of as property, as ownership, is about to change.
- Just because of the abuse of property ownership, private property should not altogether be eliminated.
- One thing is clear: the general property or ownership in the items pledged remains vested in the pledgor.
- The second major element in communist doctrine was the social ownership of property and central planning of the economy.
2.1(buildings, land)propiedades femininebienes raíces masculine formalbienes inmuebles masculine formalproperty insurance — seguro inmobiliario / sobre la propiedad masculine
- property market — mercado inmobiliario
- property owner — propietario
- property pages — sección de anuncios inmobiliarios
- Each special zone on the territory of the base has its special properties and attributes.
- And this time is an exciting one in the commercial property market.
- Many new properties also have characteristics apparently designed to discourage buyers.
- It provides reinsurance coverage to the commercial property insurance market in Britain.
- That was of course assuming the properties and characteristics of materials and technology appropriate to the age.
- A large window on the first landing over looks the garden and adds light and character to the property.
- We had no intention of destroying the character of the property and still we had problems.
- Institutions are keen to buy commercial property that is rented on long-term leases, as it offers healthy returns.
- Many wells became famous and sought after and attributed with valuable properties.
- The water supposedly has healing properties, and some say it is the fountain of youth.
- Evidently it imparts certain beneficial properties to the water.
- This property may be attributed to its ability to diffuse in the reaction medium.
- The Bible does attribute the properties of life and death to both the plants and the lower animals.
- Yet, someone of strong will and character can override such properties and master the relic.
- Council tax bands are calculated on the size, age, character and locality of properties.
- The figures are contained in the latest Land Registry report into property sales across the country.
- The curative properties of mineral water have been known since ancient times.
- They differ in their kinetic properties and expression characteristics throughout nodule development.
- It claims this will give it the largest online selection of quality-checked properties in the UK.
- This property provides an ideal characteristic for the solubilization of many molecules.
- So maybe we have some areas outside of protected areas, on private property or council land, that could be set aside for those uses.
- We have gathered information on all of the commercial property owners in our market.
- When the real estate market is down, both building owners and property managers look for new ways to save money.
- Forested wetlands on and around the property slow the water and soak it up.
- The company said it had been hit by a continuing fall in stock markets around the world, the stalling of the commercial property market and low interest rates.
- The derisory rates of interest have encouraged savers to play the stock market or buy property.
- The characteristic property of membrane proteins is their intimate contact with lipids.
- The fire had caused serious smoke and heat damage to the property, he said.
- The types of bonds in minerals can affect the properties and characteristics of minerals.
- These various healing properties are commonly attributed to the minerals dissolved in the water.
- The difference of water properties lies not only in their softness or hardness.
- The loan was secured on their home, a former council property the couple had bought with their savings.
- It was, they said, far too risky and was overexposed to the commercial property market.
- What functional characteristics or properties might such a technique probe?
- The index is formed by the prices of residential property, commercial property and land.
- For practical purposes the solar spectrum is divided into regions with characteristic properties.
- The higher negative charge is a property that seems to be characteristic of mitochondria in many cancer cells.
- Each of these states of matter is characterized by different physical properties.
- We speak of God's properties or attributes, and simplicity itself surely seems to be a property.
- And few could argue that the asking purchase price was too high for the entire property - house and lands.
2.2masculine inmueble formalmasculine terrenomasculine solarfeminine parcelaa property in need of renovation — una casa, un apartamento etc. que necesita reformas
2.3(person, book, movie)she's the hottest property in pop music — es el gran éxito del mundo de la música pop
3(quality)propiedad feminineit has medicinal properties — posee propiedades medicinales
4Cinema Theatreaccesorio masculineobjeto de utilería masculineobjeto del attrezzo masculine Mexico Spainproperties — attrezzo masculine Mexico Spain
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.