In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- How about the Norse practice of dancing until going into a trance to be able to gain prophetic insights?
- Sometimes I try to think about having prophetic dreams, but it never happens.
- His words looked to have a prophetic ring as the Scots came of age in an enthralling and ebbing battle of two sporting codes.
- Any writer can end up being prophetic, a predictor of the coming gloom.
- If they're right they can pull their dusty prediction out of the archives and look prophetic.
- His visionary voice is potentially stifled by sorrow and grief, and he attempts to contain that dangerous erosion of his prophetic vision.
- His words prove prophetic, as the kid are left disappointed.
- He was a prophetic poet with an individual and social message for the age in which he lived.
- His words sound eerily prophetic for the situation today.
- There can be no question that the church assumed itself capable of authoritative prophetic utterances.
- Was it all a dream, or a prophetic vision of warning?
- On his next run, after a circuit or so of Exeter, my words were confirmed as cruelly prophetic.
- The debacle at the Dome has proved to be prophetic.
- How prophetic those words were, especially the last two points, written in 1966!
- And who are the most successfully prophetic when it comes to predicting the future?
- Yet in the context of 1935, the closing words also seem strangely prophetic.
- Well, it was eerily prophetic.
- The photo finish judge was to prove his words prophetic.
- These events function as pessimistic and prophetic metaphors, not optimistic of the future.
- Dreamers might also experience prophetic dreams that they would convey to others to forestall danger.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.