In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(suggest)proponerto propose a toast — proponer un brindis
- do you know what he proposed to me? — ¿sabes qué me propuso?
- to propose -ing /( that ) — proponer que + subj
- I proposed giving them more incentives — propuse darles / que se les dieran más incentivos
- she proposed that we employ them both — propuso que las contratáramos a las dos
- what do you propose we do? — ¿qué propones que hagamos?
- Part of the process of establishing the benefit of a care order will be consideration of the care plan proposed by the local authority.
- He's proposed lowering the class size and putting 100,000 teachers out into our schools.
- There are several issues to be considered in proposing any innovative scheme such as this.
- He is also a bold thinker who proposed civil servants' salary cuts.
- She proposed workers could put in 12-hour shifts, four days at a time, instead of the current five-day schedule.
- He was opposed to orthodoxy of any kind; he proposed no gods or explanations of how the world came into being.
- He proposes a lucid plan that really deserves immediate attention by policymakers.
- Public sector workers also need to actively recruit to their unions by explaining what the plans mean and by proposing a strategy for fighting them.
- And in fact, they're not proposing a peace plan.
- The plan was proposed because many of the hospital's 16 buildings, some of which date back to 1908, need major repairs.
- At the end of the last Congressional session, a legalization program for undocumented farm laborers was proposed.
- Later, it says: ‘Although they might be thoroughly decent places to live, it's still hard to propose any serious tourist investigation.’
- The conference voted for complete opposition to the Lyons report, which first proposed these plans.
- The Town Council proposed a target figure of 75 per cent affordable housing.
- The president first proposed his guest worker program a year ago.
- On top of that you have to add all the other spending he's proposed.
- However, he said the council had questioned the figure proposed by the City Sanitation Agency.
- The bill proposes a new family of interlocking, flexible accounts.
- In what follows I try to analyze what gave rise to this choice for the public, and propose a plan for moving on.
- Now it's proposed the bottom teams in both sections be relegated.
render_form_group(subsense).blank? span.form-groups = render_form_group(subsense)the proposed cuts — los recortes que se proponen implementar
1.3(in meeting)(amendment) proponer(motion) presentar(motion) proponerI propose that the meeting be adjourned — propongo que se levante la sesión
- she proposed Charles as chairman — postuló a Charles como presidente
- you'll be proposed for membership at the next meeting — se te propondrá como candidato a socio en la próxima reunión
- A motion is proposed that would be a Good Thing.
- The ministry hasn't decided whether it will propose a motion to reverse the legislative resolution this week, he said.
- Both motions were proposed and seconded and all Councillors present voted in favour of both contraventions.
- While the question prompted discussion, his attempt to speak again on the matter and to propose a motion for recommendation was over-ruled on a point of order.
- Indeed at last Council I proposed two motions that got full Council backing.
- She will propose a motion requesting the council adjourn it until May 21.
- At Monday night's monthly meeting of Council, he proposed a motion that action be taken prior to the accession of the new member states in May.
- In proposing the motion, he also said that it was a case of putting money before anything else.
- He was proposing the motion calling on dog owners to ensure they have them under control at all times.
- However, halving the time allocated to proposing a motion to five minutes and allowing seconders a mere two-and-a-half minutes to explain their position is too blunt an instrument.
- He had begun by proposing a motion saying that the new road sweeper belonging to Laois County Council was ‘doing an excellent job’ and he hoped it would be kept busy.
- The independent councillors are to propose a motion tomorrow to cast the vote again, this time recording the result.
- The veteran pro-democracy lawmaker proposed a motion in the legislature yesterday to call for his resignation.
- Those countries are proposing a motion that would see the UN dole out cash to countries that protect rainforests.
- He would not be able to live down the embarrassment in the event of someone telephoning him, as it was he who proposed the motion at committee to ban mobiles.
- He proposed a motion that no further action is taken at this time, and the committee agreed to this.
- At last week's Carlow town council meeting a resident of Grave Lane requested that the council propose a motion to change the name to Park Lane.
- She told the Evening Press that the motion proposed by her party had merely said it would be unacceptable to seek to impose such a charge.
- He proposed the motion that urged a united campaign.
- Anyway, someone proposes the motion and someone else opposes it.
2(intend)to propose to + inf , to propose -ing — pensar + inf
- what do you propose to do about it? — ¿qué piensas hacer al respecto?
- I propose to go back home and wait — pienso volver a casa y esperar
- what do you propose doing with that old trunk? — ¿qué piensas hacer con ese baúl viejo?
- As we have previously pointed out, we are not proposing to attend the hearing of your Application.
1to propose to sb — proponerle matrimonio a algn
- he proposed to her — le propuso matrimonio
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.