In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(act, state)protección feminineprotection from / against sb/sth — protección contra algn/algo
- police protection — protección policial
- to be under sb's protection — estar bajo la protección de algn
- before noun protection money — dinero que se paga al chantajista para que no cause daños en un comercio
- protection racket — chantaje — que se practica a propietarios de comercios
- ‘The relocation of six houses to ensure its protection and preservation is a very small price to pay,’ she added.
- The elves had long ago sworn protection of the royal house for future safety of its destined hero.
- In one incident, he hacked away at the forelocks of horses - leaving them without protection against eye infections.
- Without termite protection, a house in the southeast is likely to get hit sometime.
- It's difficult to ask the person who drives you places and makes phone calls for you to call or take you to a shelter for protection from them.
- As an added bonus, this daily dose may provide heart disease protection.
- Some mentioned protection from heart trouble or stroke.
- He'd been so kind, offering shelter and protection and a friendship that she wanted very, very badly.
- It provides healthy fats that offer multiple health benefits, like heart and cancer protection.
- The forest trees afford them protection and shelter.
- The condom offers protection against infections, as well as serious sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV.
- By 1937 police were to discourage applications to possess firearms for house or personal protection.
- It's best to plant them on the south side of the house to provide winter protection.
- We agreed and, to this day, those items are safely kept in that bomb shelter under the watchful protection of that community watch.
- These three laws form a perfect circle of logic and protection for humans.
- This strategy not only emphasized the status of the paramount chief, but it also pushed the undefended villagers to the centre for protection in the event of an attack.
- You may be able to avoid prevailing winds by locating your deck where the house will provide some protection.
- The protection these shelters gave to the soldiers is clear to see.
- Yes, private residences don't offer adequate protection against nuclear fallout.
- Family after family were thrown out on the roads for arrears of rent, a rent which in some cases had been trebled, with no provision for their protection or shelter.
- These procedures sound gentle but they also have the virtue of being cheap and fast, since normal legal processes and protections can be skipped.
- Roommates, siblings, and other human arrangements would benefit from such legal protections as a civil union.
- It is normal practise to suspend many legal protections during wartime.
- There will be additional protections for workers categorised as vulnerable under the Act.
- There is no doubt that the Parliament could so legislate, constitutional protections aside.
- They will have no right to a lawyer or other constitutionally guaranteed protections.
- A private school may not offer the legal protections given to public school students.
- It outlines legal protections for privacy and summarises important issues relating to surveillance.
- It raises questions about protections for the rights of individuals.
- It brings a lot of the workers under legal protections of U.S. labor law, which should benefit them.
- Is minority self-government subject to constitutional protections of individual civil and political rights?
- Gay and lesbian couples are already raising children, and those children need legal and social protections.
- They are no longer protected by even the most elementary legal protections.
- While the legal protections are mostly clear, some parts of internet libel law are still unsettled.
- But women who have been trafficked are still not guaranteed any protections under law.
- State laws providing additional protections to consumers are not affected by this new rule.
- She also said the law does not violate constitutional free-speech protections.
- The idea that the state has to prove the guilt of an accused person and that we are innocent until proved guilty is a protection for all of us.
- There must be some advertence to the protections afforded by the Charter for trial within a reasonable time.
- It does give us certain legal rights, protections and responsibilities, and that seemed like the main reason to do it.
2(safeguard)protección feminineprotection against sth — protección contra algo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.