In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1protestanteProtestant work ethic — ética protestante del trabajo feminine
- It is true to a lesser degree of evangelical and independent Protestant groups as well.
- It is not coincidence that the first modern industrial societies were predominantly Protestant in religion.
- Anglican Britain and Catholic Belgium industrialised before more notable Protestant countries.
- Five years ago there were only four of us doing this work in the Protestant churches.
- That is of course about what we have come to expect of the declining older Protestant churches.
- Today many urban Protestant churches in the USA boast a large choir and a staff of musicians.
- In the Protestant section of the church, no person has ever achieved an authority equal to that of the pope.
- He soon determined to have Protestant religion in the land and devotion to the Bible.
- Many decrees issued by the council deliberately opposed Protestant viewpoints.
- This is a new-built church for Protestant worship, enclosed within a little palisaded fence.
- He leaves those who want to run away from the discipline's Protestant past no place to hide.
- However, nearly a year of Edward's short Protestant reign had been lost in debate.
- The major Protestant churches refrained from explicit endorsement of the Liberals.
- The sheer diversity of Protestant churches, all of which recognize the same canon, is ample proof of this.
- We belong to an Anglo Saxon Protestant tradition in which color was always suspect.
- The bells of Catholic and Protestant churches rang out across Germany at noon.
- What is disturbing is that eighty per cent of these converts come from Protestant church backgrounds.
- Even the most rational and least decorated of Protestant churches had an unmissable pulpit for the spreading of the Word.
- Catholic and Protestant army chaplains blessed the guns of the troops in England and Germany.
- The appeal of Protestant hymns and psalms cut across all boundaries.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.