In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The protesters say the land has been a play area for generations of children and there is nowhere else for them to go.
- Youngsters in care made a direct plea to protesters opposing a new children's home.
- These have recently been installed and protesters claim they have been badly positioned.
- The country came to the brink of disaster before the protesters backed down.
- At one point a nearby neighbour harangued the protesters cursing at them and demanding they move.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.